Donations of time are a gift of life, and we are so very grateful that you would consider giving of yourself in this way. We have many opportunities for volunteers to work hands on with the animals at our facility or to perform other tasks that help us run smoothly during the week. Many of the jobs we have available at our facility are listed below. Want to help out? Go to "How Do I Start?" to learn more.
PLEASE NOTE: All volunteers are required to complete a Volunteer Application and attend an orientation session before starting their volunteer work. Orientation sessions are scheduled regularly, but space is limited. You must sign up to attend. Anyone showing up at an orientation without confirmation will need to reschedule and will not be permitted to stay.
We are also always in need of fosters to temporarily house and care for animals that we do not have space for in our facility. Please see the "Foster a Pet" section for more information.
Volunteer Job Descriptions
- Greeters - Volunteers can help us with reception and greeting potential adopters and also giving tours to the public of our state of the art facility.
- Buddy's Pet Boutique - Volunteers are needed to assist customers in our designer gift shop.
- Humane Education Program and Senior Center - Volunteers can help supervise our youth field trips and Senior Day Trips. Volunteers will give tours and lead activities such as arts and crafts and animal socialization.
- Spay & Neuter Clinic - Volunteers needed to help return phone calls and schedule appointments.
- Dog Walking - We provide the leash and you provide the much needed exercise for our precious pooches. Dog walkers are needed 7 days a week starting at 8am!
- Canine Play Time – It is great to have the dogs out in the indoor dog park with a few volunteers who can teach them how to fetch or just provide supervision while they interact with each other.
- Dog & Cat Grooming – Nothing helps these guys and gals find their forever home like a nice bath and a brush. Many of our animals are very appearance neglected and need extra TLC. We provide the soap and the towels if you'll do the scrubbing and rubbing.
- Cat Socialization –Get out the teaser toys and laser pointers to help stimulate the felines. They really need a soft lap to snuggle in. You can also assist with feeding and cleaning their cages.
- Laundry Assistance – Volunteers are always needed to help us keep up with the wash!
- Kennel Assistance – Our Animal Care Specialists will train you on our facilities disinfection protocol and the proper way to handle specific quarantined areas.
- Van Detail – Transporting animals 7 days a week can get kind of hairy and really messy. We are always in need of volunteers who don't mind getting their hands dirty and clean the van!
- Cat Room Attendant –Attendants needed to clean and socialize our cats at the different PetSmart locations. We like for you to commit to the same time/day every week to take care of the kitties. We will be glad to train you for this position. Locations are at Two Notch, Lexington & Harbison PetSmarts Cat Adoption Centers.
- Transport – We often need help either picking an animal up or taking them to appointments.
- Fundraising Opportunities and Events - You can create your own fundraiser such as a yard sale, bake sale to generate funds for our general operations. We also have events such as Fur Ball & Bark to the Park where you can donate your time.
- Administrative and Clerical Volunteer Opportunities - There is always paperwork to help with including filing, data entry and photo copying.
- Pet Soup Program – Our Pet Food Bank takes volunteers every Friday to help bag dog and cat food at Harvest Hope Food Bank. Volunteers also needed on distribution days during the year.